Monday, April 30, 2018

Mori Point Line Etching

Inspired by a lookout point called Mori Point in Pacifica, CA I created this image using the three plate aquatint etching process. This is a printmaking process where one plate is etched with an image and transferred onto two other plates. Or three plates. The idea is to use the traditional printmaking method of CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black) for this image I just used Magenta, Cyan, and Yellow. The idea was to make my blacks using a combination of these three colors.

The next step was using a process called aquatinting for these plates, in this process you melt rosin onto the plates, and bite the plates in acid at different stages to achieve light and dark values.

After I did this I inked each of the plates, with it's own color so that when I printed them together they lay on top of each other to get different colors.

Here is a proof of the blue plate printed:


I would then place the inked yellow plate down, and roll it through the press, then the Magenta plate. To achieve this image:


"Mori Point" Original edition 1/25

I am offering these prints for sale here

Feel free to subscribe to my newsletter below to get more behind the scenes updates on my printmaking process, and be notified of future print releases.




No comments:

Post a Comment