Thursday, September 21, 2017

multiple plate etching process and Italian sunflowers

Inspired by a trip I took to Italy 5 years ago, I decided to take an old painting and make it into a line etching. I transformed the landscape a bit, by adding a windmill and some rolling hills. I really liked how the sunflowers were more defined in the front, and lost their detail in the background. I tried to give the impression of a vast landscape of sunflowers.


This is the first step in the three color line etching with aquatint process. This is the line etching, and the next step will be to transfer this image onto the other two plates. I will then aquatint (melt dust) onto the other two plates, and begin doing timed bitings into acid to get different values. Each plate has it's own color, so that when you print them all together the colors layer on top of each other and mix to get different colors.


Here is a color study I did on top of my line etching. This will give me a better idea of what colors and values I want to use when I aquatint the other plates.


If you want to find out more about my art and my process. Sign up for my weekly newsletter here:






   



   
   

   

   



No comments:

Post a Comment